Mastering VUCA: The Characteristics of a Good Servant Leader
Every organization needs leaders who can make wise decisions and embrace digital opportunities to strengthen themselves. Leadership helps a business to leverage digital technology to solve lead acquisition, along with customer service and sales challenges. A servant leader can transform his team and organization through being effective and efficient.
For a leader, leadership transformation is all about creating a vision to aim at a particular goal. And, developing a roadmap to that goal, and then leading your team with outstanding efficiency and speed to achieve that specific goal. Thus, the ability to lead is what matters the most. An internal leadership transformation or support from a third party can help to make up for any distinct experience of transformation that your leader lacks.
What is Servant Leadership and its Theory?
Servant leadership is another leadership style in which the ultimate goal of the leader is to serve. A leader with this style shares his power. And puts the needs of his followers first, while helping them to develop and perform as best as possible. This not only helps the employees to grow but also helps the organization to grow with the help of the commitment and engagement of its employees. This leadership style puts the associates of customer service as a fundamental priority.
The theory of servant leadership argues that the most effective leaders are servants of their respective teams. It also says that servant leader gets results for their organization by giving whole-hearted attention to their followers and followers’ needs. Unlike other theories of leadership, which tell about how leaders can influence or motivate their followers. This theory gives major priority to trust, collaboration, ethics, and empathy. Furthermore, the leader is a servant and has the desire to serve others according to this theory.
Also Read: 26 Best Leadership Books Of All Time
3 Examples of Servant Leadership
- Leading by Example- A team member fails of sales compartment fails to complete any task. So, his leader leads him as an equal member of the team and helps him to reach his target.
- Team Collaboration- A leader of a call center encourages his customer service associates to voice their opinions on how the organization can improve. By holding regular small group sessions, where employees are inspired to share their thoughts.
- Caring– A medical office implements an employee wellness program that encourages the team to adopt healthy habits as the organization wants to show the team that they care about their overall health and well-being.
To encourage trust, collaboration, and resilience in your team, practice empathy, active listening, and servanthood.
10 Ways to Become a Good Servant Leader in VUCA World
- Actively Listen- Actively listening to each team member would give you a new perspective. And it will also help to build a structured strategy that could benefit your team and the organization. You should invest your time in consciously listening to your team without any interruption.
- Be Empathetic- Empathy has its power as when you are empathetic, you can understand your team at the human level. In servant leadership, you can understand your team members’ emotions without any criticism by being empathetic towards them.
- Be Self-Aware- If you are a servant leader, being self-aware will help you to strengthen your team and yourself. It will also help you in understanding issues related to values, power, and work ethics. It also allows them to view situations from an interconnected and balanced point of view.
- Have a Positive Influence- The way you do things has a lot to do with the influences that you have on anyone. A servant leader should influence and direct his team in a more positive way and set examples to follow for others.
- Be Caring- Every employee of an organization has his baggage of good or bad experiences. As a servant leader, you should merge the gap of imbalance, and make everyone feel comfortable by being caring in the overall team dynamics.
Check out the Video-
- Do Assessment- Leadership assessment is important for the future of any organization. It is crucial for you to understand the leadership qualities of your team. Because understanding it would help you to have a clear perspective of the capability of your team members.
- Be Visionary- If you are a servant leader, then you should be visionary and be quick to find the weak links of your organization. You should believe in empowering your team and push them to boost their recessive traits. So, Your sense of vision would help your organization to overcome uncertainties of the future.
- Do Supervision- Supervision is regular interaction of the leader with team members and reviewing their work. By effectively engaging and interacting with people. Servant leaders can provide clarity to the ongoing work processes and takes the right measures for overcoming any challenges in the path.
- Be Committed- A servant leader is committed to helping others realize their dream and create a work environment that fuels such energy. You should keep your employees motivated by showing commitment to the work that they do.
- Build Community- It is vital to building a healthy relationship with your team members as a good relationship between an employee and a leader improves the performance of an organization. As a leader, you should build a close community that looks after each other. And also keep the team together by building a strong community.
Handpicked for our Leaders: 10 Ways to Become a Good Transformational Leader
Embrace humility, prioritize the needs of others, and empower your team members to navigate VUCA challenges together.
Thus, hereby it can be concluded that a servant leader and his leadership style builds a strong connection with his team members as they feel personally and professionally satisfied by contributing high-quality work. Moreover, It is important as it creates a work environment in which all the employees feel respected, valued, and appreciated.
What is servant leadership?
Servant leadership is a leadership philosophy where the leader’s primary focus is on serving the needs of their team members and helping them grow, thrive, and achieve their full potential.
Why is active listening and empathy important for a servant leader in the VUCA world?
Active listening and empathy build trust, foster strong relationships, and enable leaders to understand and respond to the needs and concerns of their team members effectively. They create a supportive environment where individuals feel valued and motivated to contribute
- Servant leaders prioritise their team members’ development and well-being by fostering a welcoming and inclusive workplace.
- In the VUCA world, effective communication, transparency, and trust are essential for servant leadership.
- Servant leaders are empowered to navigate VUCA complexities and inspire their teams by adaptability, flexibility, and servant-hearted decision-making.